Eyelid tapes and glues are widely used products for both to create a double eyelid crease and to lift up droopy eyelids without having surgery. For some reason, those items are very popular among young Asian girls.
For those of you who are not familiar with these beauty items, eyelid tapes are silicone strips that stick to the lids. As the name suggested, eyelid glue is adhesive that kind of "sticks" the eyelid skin to retract the excess skin and create a crease. So far, so good, it sounds like these are really useful tools. Many of you would think that these are easy, painless and affordable options to get double eyelids. In addition, the internet has its share of stories from ladies who claimed that wearing eyelid tape every day can create permanent double eyelids. But is it really so? Does eyelid tape actually work and can this "magical" product be bad for the health of your eyes? Let's find it out!
What is double eyelid tape used for? Is the result permanent?
Double eyelids tape is a small sticker that is placed on the upper eyelids to create a crease. It makes the eyes look bigger and also correct uneven eyelids. The technique is really popular because it doesn't require to undergo double eyelid surgery. However, the fold that is created is temporary. Once the tape is removed from the upper lids they will go back to their natural state. So, to answer the question of does double eyelid tape work permanently, the answer is no. Like all the other non-surgical methods for double eyelid, this one is not permanent as well.
There are many different double eyelid tape products available on the market. They differ in type, colour, shape as well as texture. You can find both one-sided stickers and double-sided stickers. These can also go in different colours such as matte, white, pale yellow and so on. Regarding the shape of the stickers, you can choose them according to their thickness and length. What kind of double eyelid tape is suitable for you depends on your eye shape, your skin tone as well as how much you want to "open" your eyes.
The advantage of such a beauty procedure is that the tape is almost invisible. However, it is advisable to hide the outline of the sticker under a layer of makeup. High-quality tapes may last all day.
Why people may want to correct their eyelids?
People who have monolids, droopy, hooded or asymmetrical eyes usually consider correcting their eyes. Although it is focused more towards the Asian and monolid eye, this is not just for Asians - it applies to all ethnicities groups that may have droopy or hooded lids.
Why do people want double eyelids? There are various reasons why people would want to correct their eyelids.
- Creating a double eyelid fold on monolids. The first and one of the most obvious reasons is that people want to create a double lid fold to make their eyes bigger and more prominent.
- Looking more Caucasian. Majority of young women in Singapore want to acquire a more caucasian appearance. As we know caucasian eyes look bigger due to the fact they have a defined crease on the upper eyelids. A lot of times these eyelids kits that you get will have like a fork looking thing that you poke into the eye socket looking for your fold. This is an important part of the placement process.
- Correcting uneven eyelids. This is a problem that can occur with people of all age range, races, ethnicities. For example, some people were born with one hooded and one parallel eyelid and they want to make their eyes look more symmetrical.
- Fixing hooded eyelids. In some people, with age the skin that covers their brow bone sort of sagging and it creates hooded eyelids. Others don't have a sagging skin but nonetheless, the fold that they have is folded deep under near the eyelashes and that creates the illusion of hooded eyelid.
- Improving the appearance of almond-shaped hooded eyes. A type of eyelids seen a lot is the classic almond-shaped hooded eye. This a stereotypical Asian eye where there is just so much fat in these areas that there is literally no fold whatsoever.
Is double eyelid tape or glue better?
Both double eyelid tape and glue are similar products. Eyelid tape is placed on top of the eye to make a new crease while eyelid glue sticks the eyelid skin together to create a fold. Although eyelid glue might be invisible and may "open" your eyes a little bit more is most likely to cause skin irritation or allergy reaction. Also, double eyelid glue is something that may not work for everyone as it may not fold up properly.
Let's look at some of the pros and cons of both products.
Double eyelids tape pros
- + The product is easy to use.
- + If you know how to place it by the shape of your eyes it will give good results.
Double eyelid tape cons
- The tape might be visible for others so applying eye makeup is an important part of the process.
- Your skin is stuck together to create a fold. This can cause irritation and redness on sensitive skin.
- Some types of stickers may not work on fatty eyelids or tapered eyelids.
Eyelid glue pros
- If you use the glue correctly it might be invisible for others. It can be a good option when it comes to special occasions.
- It can last all day.
Eyelid glue cons
- If you have sensitive skin you are more likely to experience some negative effects such as inflammation and irritation.
- Compared to the eyelids tape the glue is more time-consuming and requires more practice to get to use it properly.
- It can be difficult to remove the glue if you wear it longer than 5 hours.
Does eyelid tape actually work?
Double eyelid tape can create a temporary crease on your eyelids. Once you take off the stickers your eyelids will turn into their original form and look like before the procedure. At the end of the day is just makeup - you know it wipes off, it comes off.
However, in some cases, you may not achieve the desired results. Many people who have tried such an item report that it didn't work on them. But why this product works on some individual and does not work for others?
Basically, this is because every person is different and everyone's skin is different. For example, if you have too much excess skin on your upper eyelids it can be difficult to create a fold by using stickers. This also applies to individuals with weak eyelid muscle function.
If I wear eyelid tape 22 hours a day for three months, will it make a new permanent crease in my eyelid?
Wearing eyelid tape for a long period of time will not make a new permanent crease in your eyelid. In addition, the constant wearing of eyelids tape or glue may lead to a negative consequence. There is only one way to create a permanent double eyelid fold and this is plastic surgery.
Yes, eyelid tape can make the skin to fold in but doesn’t create a connection between the skin and the muscle that lifts the upper eyelid.
What exactly is the basis for eyelid crease in Asians? It comes down to a particular connection and this connection is between the skin and a muscle called levator muscle. This is the muscle that lifts the eyelid. The fibres from the levator muscle go into the skin and it pulls the skin in and it creates that connection that causes that fold. This can be achieved only with a surgery called blepharoplasty or double eyelid surgery. This is an operation where the plastic surgeon removes skin or places internal suture to make a natural-looking fold on the upper eyelid.
When Asian double eyelid surgery is performed whether it is with a non-incisional method or incisional the primary objective of doctor is to create that connection between the skin and the levator muscle.
Wearing eyelid tape can force the skin to fold in but will not create that connection so there is no point in using the tape to create that effect as a long term strategy.
What Happens When You Wear Eyelid Tape Every Day?
The eyelid skin is really delicate and repeated use of tape can lead to unpleasant side effects. These include:
- developing an allergy reaction;
- irritation and inflammation of the skin around the eyes;
- stretching the eyelid skin that respectively leads to the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles;
- thickening of the eyelid skin.
That is why many doctors recommend to stop wearing eyelid tape or at least not to do it often. The same goes for so popular colour lenses. These are lenses that change the colour of the pupils. Both eyelid tapes and colour lenses are considered tools that make the eyes more beautiful. However, according to doctors, these items can be bad for your eyes. Using such lenses for a long period of time may affect your vision or lead to unpleasant swelling and inflammation. That's why it's important to pay special attention to the products you put on your eyes. If you notice any changes on the skin around your eyes consult a doctor.
How to create permanent double eyelids?
The only way to create permanent double eyelids is double eyelid surgery. Initially popularized in South Korea, it is a cosmetic surgery that reshapes the skin around the eyes creating a crease on the upper lids. It is a proven method that gives permanent results. The procedure can be done both with incision or without incision. Incisional double eyelid surgery works best for patients with extra skin and fat on the upper eyelids while the non-incisional surgery is more suitable for patients who don’t have too much excess skin in this area. Both procedures must be done only by board-certified plastic surgeons.
So understanding that the goal is to create a connection between the skin and the levator muscle we would say that if you are very serious about having a crease then you should meet with a board-certified plastic surgeon who has a lot of experience with eyelid surgery. You can read our article to learn more about the recovery from Korean double eyelid surgery.
Although using eyelid tape is one of the easiest and cheaper options to get double eyelids doctors warn that this item can have negative effects on the skin as well as to be bad for the health of your eyes.
If you want to correct your eyes and make your life easier it is better to consider double eyelid surgery, otherwise known as upper blepharoplasty. Performed by a good and experienced surgeon this procedure is safe and gives nice and natural results.